Hmmm… wasn’t expecting that


It’s funny how we taste with our noses. You look at some foods and drinks and think ‘no thanks I’ll give that one a miss’ only to smell it and find that its sweet scent is alluring enough to make you disregard its disgusting appearance.

Take chocolate cake mixture for example. It looks like the by-product of a baby’s poorly tummy and if the great sense of smell didn’t exist you’d not look twice at it. However it remains one of like little pleasures. Admit it, at some point every single one of us has uttered those priceless words ‘Can I lick the bowl?!’ and staring at it with anticipation as mum tirelessly tries to scoop the last slithers of mixture from it, we’re grateful for the delicious remaining dregs.

So when I decided that tea was a no-go I looked at investing in some flavoured infusions to take the heat off going cold-turkey. Now, you cant help but give a fruity tea a good sniff before taking a gulp and feeling cheated by your own nose because quite simply it doesn’t taste anywhere near as good as it smells… or so I thought.

I’ve had a few different flavours over this past couple of weeks and have found a couple that really do give you a pleasant taste sensation. After trying lemon tea – the real one with green tea and lemon extracts – I was sorely disappointed and thought that this would be the case from now on. But Twinings have produced a range of herbal and fruit infusions that are just perfect! This week I’ve been flitting between two flavours and I’ve found my favourite so far to be Raspberry and Echinacea.

‘What the hell’s Echinacea?’ If I had a quid for every time I’ve been asked that, I’d be moderately rich this week, but to be honest I had absolutely no idea when I bought it. I always thought that it was one of those ingredients that the skinny boho birds of the south took while on some crazy weight-loss programme. I just thought the packet looked pretty, but Echinacea is actually a wildflower that is used as an herbal remedy to treat colds. Pretty and pink, both the flower and root can be used in herbal teas and works exceptionally well with other ingredients.

But after drinking if for a week, I’m still none the wiser as to what Echinacea’s apparent distinctive and unpleasant taste is like. But whatever it is, it works brilliantly with the sweetness of the raspberry and means that I don’t have to add a dash of sugar to make it somewhat bearable. Definitely one I’ll be restocking when I run out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment