Fresh breath confidence... or not

Years ago when I was an idiot, I only very briefly came across flavoured teas after venturing into a coffee shop. I was presented with what appeared to be a billboard of flavours and posh words that I didn’t understand. It was at this point I thought ‘hot chocolate, play it safe, play it sweet’ but still, I’d be quite intrigued as to what these flavours were.

So I went to a shop – it’ll remain nameless but let’s say it was dodgy and very cheap – and I bought myself a packet of fruit teas. I picked out Raspberry and, obviously in my naivety I brewed it like a traditional brekkie tea only to be sorely disappointed.

A few years later a friend told me about Peppermint Tea and how it makes her uneasy tummy settled. I never really took to the idea of a mint tea so never gave it a chance and left it there. With my previous experience of fruit teas years before, I didn’t see how a mint tea would satisfy my curiosity with a tasty twist. After all, mint isn’t exactly the best of flavours unless you’re planning on tonguing someone or mixing a Mojito!

So 2010 it is, and the power of the celebrity is somewhat overwhelming. From Gwen Stefani singing about sipping on Chamomile (Hey Baby!) to Cheryl Cole dieting on Peppermint Tea due to the breakdown of her sham of a marriage, it seems everyone’s doing it now. Whatever happened to getting wrecked on Vodka?

Well… being what you’d call impressionable, and what I prefer to call curious, I raided the flavoured box and found a packet of Organic Peppermint Tea. I didn’t have very high expectations of this one but I gave it a chance none-the-less.

I’m unsure as to whether it was the tea itself or the fact I’d just spat out a chewing gum, but it was very minty. I definitely got the refreshing sort of coldness that coats the tongue and as far as tea drinking sensations go, it was pretty nice. But for me, it failed. The tea itself was far too overpowering and once the peppermint tang had fizzled, the aftertaste of green tea made me feel as though I’d swallowed a rancid pond.

I’m not a fan of green tea but every now and then if a flavour is introduced then I’m willing to give it a try. But while I wont be trying it again, if you like green tea – you’ll love it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment